Friday 5 October 2012

Ode To My Father

Today is my Dad's birthday and so I think it only appropriate to pay tribute to the man who taught me about being a father and a man.  He is a great example and growing-up I often thought that if I turned out to be like my Dad, I'd have done well for myself.

Growing up he was kind, patient, supportive and encouraging.  I never doubted his love for us, never feared that he wouldn't be around or have time to talk.  He led by example, was slow to anger (at least he was slow to show any anger) and always ready for a laugh.  We kids had tremendous freedom to become our own people and regardless of our choices I knew he'd have our collective back.  He's one of the friendliest people I know and I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who didn't think so - everyone likes him.  And now, as he has aged, he's even more so.

I always knew he was a good man but I don't know if I truly appreciated everything he did for us until I became a father myself.  I remember often talking about my Mom as one of my heroes for the gumption she showed in returning to school with three kids to fulfill her dream of becoming a nurse.  She worked hard to finish school and maintain the home life we had grown accustomed to.   She succeeded - definitely hero material.

I realized a few years ago that without the support from my Dad, and his willingness to stick to a job that I know wasn't his favorite thing to do in the world, it would have been a lot harder for my Mom to achieve her dream.  In fact the more I reflect about my family's story the clearer it becomes that one of the reasons the rest of us have been able to talk boldly of our dreams, take chances and pursue them is because Dad was a rock providing stability and security.   If one of us showed an interest in something, he'd get behind it and cheer us on.  He'd do what he could to enable us to pursue our interest to the extent that we desired regardless of the sacrifices he had to make...and he's still doing it.  That's not just a great Dad...that's a great man.

Like the bass player in a band (Dads plays a mean bass) who holds down the bottom end of things so the guitarist can go on wild adventures and get the glory, he is the unsung hero - until now.

Here's to you Dad!!  Happy Birthday - I love you!!


2 comments:

  1. Thanks Son that is very heart moving. I love you and pray you continue to be used to encourage others in all your pursuits

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are already giving your girls and the rest of the family the same love and strength.

    ReplyDelete