Friday 11 April 2014

Reason to Celebrate

Tomorrow is a big day.  April the 12th is the day my Mom was born and also the day my parents and late paternal grandparents were married.  As much as it is more blessed to give than to receive, I cannot help but think about how much I have received because of the historic family events that have taken place on April the 12th.  I am thankful for the blessing that my Mom and Dad are and for the example they have set for our family.

Growing up my Mom was one of my heroes and still is.  Not only is she an awesome Mom and Mummu to my girls who does all the things that you envision an awesome mom doing, but she also had enough gumption not to give up on her dream.  So many years ago now, with three children, she went back to school to complete high school and nursing college.  I remember her studying her anatomy books well into the evening and on weekends finding time where she could while still taking care of us all.  She accomplished that which she set out to do and continues to succeed in her career as a nurse.  She now works in palliative care helping comfort those who have no hope for recovery and easing them into the sweet hereafter.  She handles her sacred duty with quiet strength (although she is not always quiet), resolve and compassion indicative of her character.  I am proud of my Mom and glad that my girls have such a great example that they can learn from and hope to be like one day (my girls are very fortunate with the number of quality women they are surrounded with).

My Mom and Dad have done it together for I am sure that my mom would agree that without my Dad supporting her decision to go back to school and encouragement, it would have been a heck of a lot harder to accomplish what she has.  They have stuck together through thick and thin, for better or worse, in sickness and in health and continue to demonstrate love, commitment and teamwork.  When I consider what my parents have given me I think about the faith they fostered in me, the values they instilled, the belief they had in me and the encouragement and support they continue to give to me and my family.  These are priceless... a rich heritage that I strive to guard as fervently as I would a precious family heirloom so that I may pass them on to my girls and them to their children.

So to my Mom and Dad I say Happy Birthday and Anniversary, may God richly bless you today and in the coming year and we thank you for all that you have given to us!



No comments:

Post a Comment